Chocolate Drop Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 2/3 cup shortening
(We use Butter Crisco)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons water
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk or sour milk
To sour milk: Use 1 teaspoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1/3 cup
- Additional Sugar (for sprinkling on cookies after baked.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Farenheight.
- Lightly grease cookie sheet.
- Beat Crisco, and sugar and water in a large bowl until well blended.
- Add egg and vanilla. Beat until fluffy.
- Mix together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Add dry mix alternately with buttermilk to Crisco, water, sugar, vanilla, egg mixture.
- Drop dough onto greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
Drop from tablespoon for small cookies or from ice cream scoop for large cookies.
- Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until cookie spring back when touched lightly in the center.
- Sprinkle cookies with sugar while still hot on baking sheet.
- Cool slightly then remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
Cool completely before storing in a container.
Makes 1 dozen large cookies.
Love chocolate? You will enjoy eating these cookies! Much like chocolate cake but a bit firmer and no plate or fork needed!